Monday, February 2, 2009

Fruits of one's efforts

One of the most powerful teachings/practices for me in yoga is to practice without attachment to the results.  Having exercised (weight-lifting, running, aerobics, among other things) for many years seeking to tone, lift, and otherwise trim my body, as yoga and meditation took over my exercise time, the desire for such results lifted.  

Sure, those old voices still make noise in my head some times, and I just think, "Oh, there are those old voices again," and they gently diminish in volume and then fade away.  It took a long time for that to happen, but it did, with lots of practice.

Of course, if one practices yoga and meditation regularly, there will be effects, and these effects can be an incentive to practice.  For example, I have the thought that, "I don't want to practice because...", and then I remember how I feel after I've practiced, and I practice.  And, as David Swenson has said, "I've never regretted a yoga practice."

So... perhaps what will happen over time is that I practice just for the sake of practice.  

To take this a little further, how about being kind just for the sake of being kind, and not expecting anything from it?  How about giving just for the sake of giving, not because it's expected or might please someone?  How about loving and listening the same way?
I intend to bring some more awareness to this practice of letting go of the fruits of my efforts.  Svaha.

This came up today, in part, from students asking to tailor their sessions to have certain effects.  I hope I can inspire them to trust the yoga, to just practice the yoga.  
"Practice, and all is coming."  - Sri K. Pattabhi Jois

No comments: